By providing Personally Identifiable Information to us, you agree to the terms of this Policy. If you do not agree to the terms of this Policy, please do not provide Personally Identifiable Information to us or use the Site. We reserve the right to revise this policy without prior written notice. Any changes to our Policy will become effective upon our posting of the revised Policy on the Site. Use of the Site following such changes constitutes your acceptance of the revised Policy then in effect.
What Types of Information Do the You Collect From Me?
We gather three basic types of information from you: “Personally Identifiable Information” (or “PII“), “Non-Personally Identifiable Information” (or “Non-PII“) and “IP Addresses.” Personally Identifiable Information is information that identifies you as an individual. Non-Personally Identifiable Information is aggregated information, demographic information and any other information that does not reveal your specific identity. An IP Address is the Internet Protocol address of the computer that you are using.
- Personally Identifiable Information. You do not have to provide PII to use the Site. However, in order for you to take advantage of particular opportunities provided through the Site (for example, to sign up for an event, to view certain areas of the Site or to receive information regarding certified educational offerings), we may require that you furnish PII. We collect PII from you, such as your name, postal address, telephone number, e-mail address, credit card number or other payment account number, only when you voluntarily provide it to us.
We also collect Non-PII (e.g., your geographic location) when you voluntarily provide this information to us. Additionally, we may aggregate PII in a manner such that the end-product does not personally identify you or any other user of the Site, for example, by using PII to calculate the percentage of Site users who have been diagnosed with a particular stage of certain tumor types.
- IP Addresses. Your IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). This number is identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever you visit the Site, along with the time(s) of your visit(s) and the page(s) that you visited. Collecting IP addresses is standard practice on the Internet and is done automatically by many web sites.
How Do You Use Information Collected From Me?
- Personally Identifiable Information. We may use PII about you in the following ways:
- Fulfillment of Requests. We may use PII about you to respond to your requests such as to send newsletters to you or to process your donations..
- Administrative Communications. From time to time, we may use PII about you to send to you important information regarding the Site, changes to our terms, conditions, and policies or other administrative information. Because this information may be important to your use of the Site, you may not opt-out of receiving such communications.
- Other Communications. From time to time, we and/or our affiliates, FungusCME.org and DrFungus (collectively, the “Affiliated Entities”), may use PII about you to inform you of products, programs and services that we believe may be of interest to you. If you would prefer that we do not send such messages to you, please see the “Opt-Out” section below.
- E-mails to Friends. We may provide functionality to permit you to send messages regarding Site-related content to a friend through the Site. If you wish to use this feature, you may be required to provide us with, and we may use, your friend’s e-mail address so that we can facilitate your sending of such message to your friend.
- Internal Business Purposes. We may also use PII about you for our internal business purposes, such as data analysis, audits and so forth.
- Non-Personally Identifiable Information. Because Non-PII does not personally identify you, we may use such information for any purpose. In addition, we reserve the right to share such Non‑PII (which does not personally identify you) with Affiliated Entities and other third parties, for any purpose. In some instances, we may combine Non-PII with PII (such as combining your name with your geographic location). If we do combine any Non-PII with PII, the combined information will be treated by us as PII hereunder as long as it is so combined.
How Is Personally Identifiable Information Disclosed?
- Affiliated Entities. We may share PII with the Affiliated Entities so that they may use such PII to send you information regarding products, programs and services (including, without limitation, information). We are party responsible for the management of PII that is jointly used by us and the Affiliated Entities. If you would prefer that we do not share your information with Affiliated Entities, please see the “Opt-Out” section below.
- Third Party Service Providers. We work with third parties who provide services including but not limited to data analysis, web hosting, IT services, accounting, payment processing, and other services of an administrative nature. We reserve the right to share PII about you with such third parties for the purpose of enabling these third parties to provide these services.
- Third Party Communications. We may share PII about you with third parties to allow them to contact you regarding that may be of interest to you. If you would prefer that we do not share your information with third parties, please see the “Opt-Out” section below. Also, please note that our practices with respect to sharing of PII with Affiliated Entities are separately governed under Section 3(a) above.
- E-mails to Friends. Please note that any PII you provide in connection with sending messages regarding Site-related content to a friend through the Site, such as your name and your e-mail address, will, of course, be disclosed to your friend.
- Information Posted by Visitors. We may make available through the Site services (for example and message boards among other services) to which you are able to post information and materials. Please note that any information you disclose through those services or otherwise on the Site becomes public information and may be available to visitors to the Site and to the general public. We urge you to exercise discretion and caution when deciding to disclose PII about you, or any other information, on the Site. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE USE OF ANY PII YOU VOLUNTARILY DISCLOSE THROUGH THE SITE.
- Assignment. We reserve the right to transfer any and all information that we collect from Site users to an Affiliated Entity or a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including, without limitation, in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
- Law enforcement; Emergencies; Compliance. We reserve the right to disclose PII about you to others as we believe to be appropriate (a) under applicable law; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to governmental requests, including requests by government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our Terms of Service; (e) to protect our operations or those of an Affiliated Entity; (f) to protect the rights, privacy, safety or property of us, the Affiliated Entities, you or others; and (g) to permit us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
Other Important Notices Regarding Our Privacy Practices.
- Note Regarding HIPAA: You understand and acknowledge that we are not a covered entity within the meaning of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 and its related regulations set forth in Parts 160, 162, and 164 of Title 45 of the Code of Federal Regulations (collectively, “HIPAA”) and are not acting on behalf of a covered entity in our capacity as the host of the Site and that any information you submit to us through or in connection with the Site that would otherwise be regarded as protected health information for purposes of HIPAA will not be subject to the limitations on the use and disclosure of such information by covered entities under HIPAA.
- Jurisdictional Issues. The Site is controlled and operated by us from the United States and is not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country or territory other than that of the United States. We do not represent or warrant that the Site, or any part thereof, is appropriate or available for use in any particular jurisdiction. Those who choose to access the Site do so on their own initiative and at their own risk, and are responsible for complying with all local laws, rules and regulations. We may limit the Site’s availability, in whole or in part, to any person, geographic area or jurisdiction we choose, at any time and in our sole discretion.
- Security. We seek to have security measures and tools, such as firewalls, in place to help protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet or data storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised), please immediately notify us of the problem by contacting us in accordance with Section 8 (“Contacting Us“) below (note that if you choose to notify us via physical mail, this will delay the time it takes for us to respond to the problem).
- Opt-Out. If you do not wish to receive newsletters, e-mails or information from us regarding programs and services, or if you would prefer that we do not share PII about you on a going-forward basis with Affiliated Entities and/or with third parties, you may opt-out of receiving such e-mails and/or sharing by contacting us via e-mail at email@example.com. Please specify clearly which of the following choices you are opting out of:
- Receiving newsletters, emails or other information from the us;
- Allowing us to share PII about you with the Affiliated Entities; and/or
- Allowing us to share PII about you with third parties. We will endeavor to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
Please note that if you opt-out as described above, we will not be able to remove PII about you from the databases of third parties with which we have already shared PII about you (e.g., third-party service providers to whom we have already provided PII about you as of the date that we implement your opt-out request). If you wish to cease receiving e-mails from third parties, please contact the third parties directly or utilize any opt-out mechanisms set forth in their respective privacy policies or e-mails to you.
- Changing or Removing PII About You. If you would like to correct, update or remove PII that you have previously provided to us through the Site, you may do so by contacting us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes, and there may also be residual information that will remain within our databases and other records, which will not be removed therefrom. We also reserve the right, from time to time, to re-contact former users of the Site. Finally, we are not responsible for removing information from the databases of third parties with whom we have already shared PII about you.
- Contacting Us. If you have any questions regarding this Policy, please contact us by e-mail at email@example.com. Please note that e-mail communications will not necessarily be secure; accordingly you should not include credit card information or other sensitive information in your e-mail correspondence with us.